Gaza 'stabilization force' fails to launch as nations unwilling to commit troops: Report
Several nations that previously committed troops to
the US-led occupation force have 'backpedaled' amid fears they will have to
kill Palestinians
NOV 29, 2025
The White House is having difficulty launching its
so-called Gaza International Stabilization Force (ISF), as countries that
previously expressed willingness to deploy troops to the project now seek to
distance themselves from it, according to a 29 November report in the Washington Post.
The ISF “is struggling to get off the ground as
countries considered likely to contribute soldiers have grown wary” over
concerns their soldiers may be required to use force against Palestinians.
Indonesia had stated it would send 20,000 peacekeeping
troops. However, officials in Jakarta speaking with the US news outlet said
they now plan to provide a much smaller contingent of about 1,200.
Azerbaijan has also reneged on a previous commitment
to provide troops. Baku will only send troops if there is a complete halt to
fighting, Reuters reported earlier this month.
US President Donald Trump’s plan for Gaza envisioned
meaningful troop contributions from Arab states, including the UAE, Bahrain,
and Qatar. But after expressing early interest, none have committed to
participating.
“A month ago, things were in a better place,” one
regional official with knowledge of the issue stated.
Trump’s plan for post-war Gaza rests on the ability of
an international force to occupy the strip and was endorsed by a UN Security
Council resolution on 17 November.
However, because the resolution gave the force the
mandate to “demilitarize” the Gaza Strip, many countries are resisting
participation.
They say their troops could be required to disarm
Hamas on Israel’s behalf. This would require killing Palestinians and possibly
cast their forces as co-perpetrators in Israel’s genocide in front of the
world.
Some officers are “really hesitant” to participate,
one Indonesian official said.
“They want the international stabilizing force to come
into Gaza and restore, quote unquote, law and order and disarm any resistance,”
a senior official in Indonesia’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs said. “So that’s
the problem. Nobody wants to do that.”
Participation would also put their soldiers in harm’s
way, whether from Hamas or the ongoing Israeli airstrikes, which regularly kill
Palestinians despite the alleged ceasefire that took effect in October.
Sources familiar with the plan told the Washington
Post that the White House plans to man the force with between 15,000
and 20,000 foreign troops, divided into three brigades to be deployed in early
2026.
However, details have not been finalized, which has
led to additional hesitancy among potential participating nations.
“Commitments are being considered. No one is going to
send troops from their country without understanding the specifics of the
mission,” the official said.
Efforts to establish the so-called “Board of Peace,” a
committee of Palestinian technocrats taking orders directly from the White
House to deal with the day-to-day administration of the enclave, have also
stalled.
“We thought, with the Security Council resolution,
within 48 to 72 hours, the Board of Peace would be announced,” another person
familiar with the plan told The Post. “But nothing, not even informally.”
No other members of the Board of Peace have yet been
named.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has stated
that the Israeli army will disarm Hamas if foreign countries are unwilling to
do so for them.
“All indicators show that indeed no countries are
willing to take on this responsibility, and that understanding is sinking in
both in Israel and in the US,” said Ofer Guterman, a senior researcher at the
Institute for National Security Studies (INSS) in Tel Aviv.
“Bottom line: It’s unlikely that the ISF, if it’s
established at all, will lead to Gaza’s demilitarization,” he added.
Tamara Kharroub, Deputy Executive Director and Senior
Fellow of the Arab Center in Washington, DC, described the Trump plan as
“Permanent Palestinian subjugation and neocolonial rule dressed up as peace.”
“There are no guarantees or binding mechanisms or
clarity around what constitutes reform or demilitarization and around who
determines what they are. The plan ultimately gives Israel a blank check to
prolong its presence in Gaza, fully reoccupy it, or resume its genocidal war,”
Kharroub wrote.
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario