Iran formally warns UN that 'all US bases, assets' will become legitimate targets if attacked
Western media has said Washington could begin
attacking Iran ‘as soon as the weekend’ if Tehran fails to surrender to US and
Israeli demands
FEB 20, 2026
Iran officially warned in a letter to the UN on 19 February that US
military bases across West Asia will become “legitimate targets” if the Islamic
Republic comes under attack by Washington.
“Iran has repeatedly stated at the highest level that
it neither seeks tension nor war and will not initiate any war. However, in the
event that it is subjected to military aggression, Iran will respond decisively
and proportionately in the exercise of its inherent right of self-defense under
Article 51 of the Charter of the UN,” said Iranian representative Saeed
Iravani.
“In such circumstances, all bases, facilities, and
assets of the hostile force in the region would constitute legitimate targets
in the context of Iran's defensive response. The US would bear full and direct
responsibility for any unpredictable and uncontrolled consequences,” he added,
addressing UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres and President of the UN
Security Council James Kariuki.
Iravani also condemned “the repeated and explicit US
threats of the use of force, including references to potential military
operations launched from Diego Garcia and other regional bases.”
US President Donald Trump said this week that
Washington may need to use the Diego Garcia base, a joint US–UK facility, to
attack Iran. According to reports in western media, the UK has not signed off
on the use of its bases for strikes against the Islamic Republic.
Trump has repeatedly threatened Iran since the start
of the year.
Two rounds of indirect negotiations have been held so
far, coinciding with a massive US military buildup in the region.
Washington and Tel Aviv are not only demanding the
dismantlement of the Iranian nuclear program, but also a severe cap on the
missile program and an end to support for the resistance movements across West
Asia.
Tehran rejects this and has only signaled willingness
to limit or temporarily halt enrichment.
The US president said on Thursday that he would decide
on a course of action regarding Iran within the next 10 days.
Later, he told reporters he set a two-week deadline
for a deal to be reached.
The Wall Street Journal (WSJ) reported on 19 February that Trump is considering
launching an “initial limited military strike” on Iran “within days,” in an
effort to force the Islamic Republic into either agreeing to Washington’s terms
or facing an expanded campaign.
“The opening assault, which if authorized could come
within days, would target a few military or government sites. If Iran still refused to comply with Trump’s directive
to end its nuclear enrichment, the US would respond with a broad campaign …
potentially aimed at toppling [the government],” sources said.
After Washington officially joined Israel’s 12-day war
on the Islamic Republic last year, striking key nuclear sites, Tehran responded
with a ballistic missile attack on the US's Al-Udeid Air Base in Qatar.
Iranian officials have said a new war would prompt
heavier responses against both Israel and US military assets in the region.
Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei warned on Tuesday that the Islamic Republic has weapons
that can sink US aircraft carriers “to the bottom of the sea.”
No hay comentarios:
Publicar un comentario